Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Let the journey begin!

You would think that after 25 straight years of being a student, I'd just want to give it a rest. But not 6 months after graduating with my MLIS, I'm already taking more classes! I signed up for the 21 Things for 21st Century KidLibs because I am a brand new children's librarian (barely 3 weeks in) and wanted to gain a better understanding of how to utilize new technology in order to better serve my patrons. I'm familiar with a lot of Web 2.0 technologies but realize that there is always more I can learn.

I'm especially interested in the idea of creating a behind-the-scenes blog for staff. As a new librarian, I'm beginning to understand that my colleagues are invaluable sources of information about everything from programming and reader's advisory to how to handle customer service issues. It can be quite a shock to discover how great the chasm is between theory and practice. I've often thought that if there was just one central place where staff could share this kind of information it would be incredibly helpful for newbies like me to gain a foothold.

I'll admit that I have a bit of first day jitters-you know, that feeling you get when the professor hands you the syllabus and you have absolutely no idea how you're going to get all that work done. But it's feeling like this now that makes the success of accomplishment even sweeter.

3 comments:

  1. Great job Danielle. After 15 years of not being a student I am thinking about going back to school. I never thought I'd do that but I am now considering an MPA. We'll see....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for children's librarians! I hope you love your job. I've been a children's librarian for over 3 years and I really enjoy it. I'm glad you already know some of the Web 2.0 stuff--I hope I will learn from you! And if I can be of any help with the low tech side of children's librarianship, let me know! Blogs are certainly a GREAT way to share information and ideas. I'm thinking of "digitizing" my flannelboard stories by photographing them and posting them on my blog, both as a way to tell stories and also to show some examples of how to make flannelboard pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Love Books! AND Children! ...what a great combo

    ReplyDelete