Friday, July 16, 2010

Technology makes me tired.

I'll admit that when I start thinking about myriad ways to gather information today, I just want to close my eyes and take a nap. Have you read the latest Tweet? FB post? Blog? Created a YouTube video? A Glog? A podcast? AHHHHHHHHH! It's odd, because I am part of the generation who grew up with a computer in the house, but I also remember a time when technology didn't take over every aspect of my life. We didn't play video or computer games when I was little, but we played. We didn't read e-books on e-readers, but we read. The dependence on technology was definitely much lower.

But when I stop and take a breath, I have to acknowledge that technology plays such an integral part of my life. I have a cell phone, a Facebook page, participate in posting my book reviews on Shelfari, have created a wiki, and (now) a blog, subscribe to various blogs I read regularly on Google Reader and basically expect to be able to find whatever information I need at the drop of a hat. And when I really stop and think, I wouldn't have my MLIS right now if it weren't for technology (I took all of my courses online). So while I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the prospect of keeping up with everything, I am also grateful (most of the time) that all of these new ways to connect are available.

We do see these changes in libraries as many, if not most, now have a virtual presence. Databases are available online 24/7, you can log into your account and look for books, place holds, and renew items, and you can sign up for events, all without talking to one human being! Are librarians being replaced? Of course not. But we are doing more to meet our patrons where they're at.

Because I'm not hip the technology vibe, I looked at some of Jill's "favorite" things and was really interested in ScreenToaster. This is a screen capture, video-making tool, similar to Camtasia. From what I understand, Camtasia is a program you have to purchase and may take a little training to use. But Screentoaster is free and seems simple enough that even the tech-phobes like me can handle. I think it would be an excellent tool for librarians. Think of the "how-to" videos we can post online to help our patrons! How-to look for books, how-to use the databases, how-to sign up for a library card.....you get my drift. :)

4 comments:

  1. I have to say I agree with you - I'm part of the generation that grew up with computers but trying to keep on top of things sometimes makes me exhausted. Discovering Google Reader made my life a billion times easier - everything I wanted came into my inbox. If I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information I can't even imagine how non information professionals must feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very few people I knew had computers in their house and you had to know and type in the commands which was not effective. When I was an undergrad, email became a useful tool and online registration was just starting. Then when I went to grad school for my MLIS, things sure had changed! I was slow to get a Facebook page and a Google Reader to make blog reading more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nap would be nice. I like the idea of how-to videos and did you see the Little Passports link on Jill's list. A great way for kids to start thinking beyond their neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! Keeping up wtih new technologies can be a job in itself. But I rely on technology so much, that when I can't use it I often find that I am at a loss.

    ReplyDelete